Really like the Bills in Brighton so thought I’d check this out new branch in St Albans. Thoughts in no particular order:
* Huge improvement to this area – looks great – I bet the local shops are delighted. Large inside and plenty of space between tables so space for buggies, children, groups etc and we could have a good chat without being overheard (I think…).
* Lots of choice on the menu – not seasonal or local unlike the original in Lewes 13 years ago but it all sounded tasty.
* Service organised and quick if a little new and nervous.
* Lots of knick-knacks such as dried chillis, italian-stylee tomato tins everywhere – very decorating by numbers but it did make me want to buy marmalade and pink lemonade so it works. Were the overhead metal air tubes shipped in to complete the industrial look or were they actually part of the building?
* We chose a sharing mezze board with hummus, halloumi, babaganoush and bruschetta with feta and tomatoes. Mixing up the world’s ingredients and styles all over the place, but, hey it was healthy and tasty, and we enjoyed it. I’d happily go back with friends but it definitely has a chain feel, and other local places beat it for cooking, value and location. But a huge improvement to this spot in town.
What do you think?